Details of the books
paperback, 437 pages
Published by Text Publishing
Publication Date: June 24, 2015
Buy it from Text Publishing Now!
Synopsis: The final book in The Rephaim series. Due out in June 2015 for Australia/New Zealand; August 2015 for UK; and June 2016 for US/Canada.
Gaby remembers everything.
For a year she believed she was a backpacker chilling out in Pandanus Beach. Working at the library. Getting over the accident that killed her twin brother.
Then Rafa came to find her and Gaby discovered her true identity as Gabe: one of the Rephaim. Over a hundred years old. Half angel, half human, all demon-smiting badass—and hopelessly attracted to the infuriating Rafa.
Now she knows who faked her memories, and how—and why it’s all hurtling towards a massive showdown between the forces of heaven and hell.
More importantly, she remembers why she’s spent the last ten years wanting to seriously hurt Rafa
Gaby and Jude both have their memories back and we get to find out all of the details of their lives prior to their memory loss up to how it happened. It really pieces all of the bits and pieces of the story together. I enjoyed finally knowing how this story came to be.
Like all of the other books in The Rephaim series, it's action-packed and sexy. Although this one was quite a bit sexier than the other books. The reader gets a pretty detailed sex scene so kiddies be advised! I definitely enjoyed it though...
1) I love the character development. It's amazing that it's the last book in the series and the characters still managed to grow and change from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) I am extremely envious in Paula's skill in writing action scenes. They seemed so real to me that my heart was hurting while I was reading them.
3) RAFA and GABY! RAFA AND GABY! These two finally clean-up the mess between them and have some really, really great moments.
4) Gaby and Jude are so cute. I love reading great sibling relationships. These two are just so sweet and it's clear how much they mean to one another.
1) It's a bit unrealistic that no one dies in this fierce battle but I'm not complaining! I'm glad everyone is alive. I just know it's a bit unrealistic.
2) It's over T_T
1) "What if—
I meet Jude's eyes. He's scared too, but also... resolved. Whatever battle I'm having with myself, he's already had it and won. And suddenly I know. I'm with Jude. No matter what happens in this moment, we're in it together. It's enough."
2) "Nobody's going to hurt either of you,' I say. 'Unless you keep that gun where it is.'
Jess raises her eyebrows at me, a challenge. 'You speak for the Outcasts now? For Rafa?'
'Yeah,' Rafa says behind me. 'She does.'
3) 'I don't blame them. We should never have involved you.'
'I explained that I made you take me—'
'You were eleven, Dani,' Jason snaps. 'And they are Rephaim. How could you make them do anything they didn't want to?'
She twists around on the couch to face him. 'The same way I get you to. I'm a pest.'
He shakes his head and goes out on the balcony.
'Are you still taking me to see a koala later?' she calls out.
'Yes,' he says, not turning our way. Even mad at her, he can't say no.
4) 'I'm not going to hit you or kick you or run your head through a wall, Rafa, so either you can accept I'm dealing with our past or you can't. And believe me, forgiveness isn't the easy option. It takes a hell of a lot more effort than breaking bones.'
5) 'Do you want to keep picking apart your mistakes, or can you move on?'
Jude gestures to Rafa. 'I can if he can.'
'Of course I can,' Rafa says. 'It's not like I've got the high ground here.'
They watch each other for a full five seconds. And then they slap their palms together, leave over the bench and thump each other on the back.
And like that, they're good.
Below I have included links to my other reviews, interview with Paula, along with my Book Boyfriends post about Rafa.