Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Hardcover, 401 pagesPublished by Henry Holt & Company
Publication Date: June 4, 2013
Buy it: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository |
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm
This book was absolutely amazing! All of you have to read it! All of the shortcomings from the first book were made up in this one. It is filled with action, drama, romance, fantasy, with some angst. It's probably the best book I have read since I started writing this book blog. It's fantastic. By the end I was screaming, shaking, and sweating. Yeah, it was that good.
Seriously, go out and get this book now!
1) All the main characters in this book are written so well. You feel like you are them, and you think and feel everything that they do.
2) The same as the first book, there is action at the very beginning and it kept up throughout the entire book. Anytime it felt like the book was finally calming down, BAM, I was thrown from my seat.
3) Prince Nikolai is my favorite character in this novel. His whole story and background is very intricate and surprising. Every scene with him is priceless and at most times, hilarious.
4) I love that Mal and Alina don't have the typical lovey dovey relationship. Their relationship is not an easy one an don't naturally fit together but they make it work. That's true romance.
5) This book is more than a love story. It's filled with action, comedy, drama, and suspense.
1) I have tried really hard to to come up with something to dislike about this book, but my only complaints are to do with the plot and little tiny things that don't really matter. These type of complaints I don't think are fair to count against her because it's my dislikes have nothing to do with her writing style, or how things were executed, it's more I don't want bad things to happen to my favorite characters haha. I guess my only complaint is that the third book is not available.
Favorite Quotes/Moments (Spoiler Alert):
1) "Anything worth doing always starts as a bad idea" (101).
2) "'So, no heart flutters or swooning, even in the arms of a royal prince?'
He was teasing, but I heard the uncertainty beneath his words.
'I seem to be immune,' I replied. 'And luckily, I know what a real kiss should feel like.'" (194).
3) "I came here for you. You're my flag. You're my nation." (327).
I'd write a bunch more but I don't want to give too much away.
If any of you have any recommendations for what books I should read next, I'd love to here from you! Either send me a message, leave a comment or send me a message on tumblr!