Hey guys! Today I'm happy to bring you the Illuminae Blog tour! For my stop, I will be giving you guys my ARC review of this AMAZING book. However, this has not impacted my rating or thoughts on the book in any way. With all of that said, meet the authors of this ████ing incredible book, Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff!
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her work has been published in fifteen countries, won the Aurealis Award for Best YA Novel, been named the Huffington Post’s best YA novel of the year, shortlisted for the Gold Inky Award and is in development for TV. Her first series, co-authored with Meagan Spooner, began with These Broken Stars, and her new series, co-authored with Jay Kristoff, will start this October with Illuminae. Raised in Australia and Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution. She lives in Melbourne with her husband, their rescue dog, and an extremely large personal library.
Jay Kristoff is the award-winning author of THE LOTUS WAR, THE ILLUMINAE FILES and THE GODSGRAVE CHRONICLES. He is a winner of the Aurealis Award, nominee for the David Gemmell Morningstar and Legend awards, named in the Kirkus Best Teen Books list and published in a dozen countries, most of which he has never visited. Being the holder of an arts degree, he has no education to speak of. He is 6’7 and has approximately 13380 days to live. He abides in Melbourne with his secret agent kung-fu assassin wife, and the world’s laziest Jack Russell.
He does not believe in happy endings.
*Photo credit for Jay Kristoff's photo to Christopher Tovo (www.christophertovo.com)*
Details of the Book
Hardcover ARC, 608 pages
Published by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers,
an imprint of Random House Children's Books
Publication Date: October 20, 2015
Synopsis: This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.
This afternoon, her planet was invaded.
The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other——are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.
But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.
Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents——including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more——Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.
Holy ████, how does one even go about talking about this book? Astounding, brilliant, breathtaking, mind-blowing, and yet all of these words don't even scratch the surface of the pure genius that is Illuminae. It took me on a whirlwind of emotions that had my heart-racing and my palms sweating. Although the size of it might be intimidating, it's actually a fast read because much of the book is written in IM conversations, e-mails, and other "official" documents. I read this entire book in one sitting (which took about 6 hours, and only because I took breaks to cry and catch my breath); once you start this book, there is no putting it down. The story and the visuals really come together to create an out-of-this world story that all of you need to read IMMEDIATELY. After I finished, I was just a ball of emotion that could not speak coherently.
1) The visuals are absolutely stunning. And I mean ████ing BEAUTIFUL——look at them! I was originally worried that the images would take away from the story, but instead they added to it. I can't even imagine how much time and effort was put into all of the artwork and documents. There were e-mails, "unipedia" internet docs., IM conversations, blueprints, propaganda, and so much more. I've included a few pictures here but don't worry, there is no classified information!
If I tried to show you guys all of the GORGEOUS art in Illuminae, I would basically have to upload the entire book! The visual aspects add so much depth to the story that it seems real. You feel like you're in the book with these characters and experiencing everything with them.
2) I love and care about all of the characters. They all are incredibly unique, well-developed, and have distinct voices and personalities. I especially love Kady——she's such a bad███! Kady is smart, quick-on-her-feet, and has so much snark——I love her so much.
3) Illuminae has one of the most heart-stirring romances that I've ever read. I fell for Kady and Ezra instantly——and I fell hard. Their entire story is so moving and oddly relatable, despite the intergalactic setting.
4) The plot itself is well-crafted and wonderfully executed. I had no problem imagining myself being in Kady and Ezra's shoes. At times, I felt like I was right there with them——experiencing all of the action, heartache, and pain. There are no plot holes or imperfections in the storyline.
5) It's amazing how much I ended up caring for Aidan
considering he's basically a computer. He was really brought to life and had so many thought-provoking ideas and feelings. He's a very complex character that really makes you think, even after you've finished reading.
1) ABSOLUTELY ████ING NOTHING.
There is no way that I can ████ up my favorite quotes and moments by typing them out for you guys, so here are more photos of the pages. Once again, don't worry——no classified information here!
If I include more of my favorite quotes and moments, I'll just spoil everything for all of you and I sure as ████ don't want to do that! Bottom line is that YOU NEED THIS BOOK.